I should start by answering the question I always get; no, I don't ride, but I love the sport of cycling and I love watching it. As I type, I'm watching Paris Roubaix from a couple of weeks ago, and I have some comments. I don't know too many cycling enthusiasts, and I have to vent, so if you find this boring, please feel free to skip :)
First, I LOVE George Hincapie. He's American. He was on Lance's team for his 7 tour victories. He is a workhorse. He's one of the best American cyclist ever. He has won some races. He loves Paris Roubaix and wants to win it one day (and I must admit, when it rains, it is one of my favorites too). I cheer for him every year and every year he breaks my heart. This year, I knew it was lost when I heard for the thousandth time "I'm just hoping for some good luck". Really, George? After 17 years of riding this race, you don't realize you can't win on luck? I understand hoping not to have bad luck, but that is different than hoping for good luck. You've had your fair share of crashes and you've been successful (kind of; I believe you finished on the podium a few years ago which let's face it, is pretty darn good); I just wish after all of those years of being friends with Lance and riding with him, you would have gotten a little of his killer instinct. Here's to a great rider who will have to retire without winning the one race he wants to win (assuming something really crazy doesn't happen in the last hour of coverage, but let's face it...at this point in his career; top 5 would be good for him).
Second, Tom, Tom, Tom....I'm not sure who yelled at you more after this race; you or your manager? I mean, you must be kicking yourself. After last week's Tour of Flanders, you were right to feel good about yourself even though you came in second in Belgium's biggest sporting event (He's Belgian). I mean, you raced your best race (you could have done that day), and Cancellara was just plain better. Nothing you could do about it. Today? You got played. The announcers think you got fed up doing all of the work, so you decided to go to the back of the pack. Really, did Fabian do that good of a job of playing possum that you didn't think he would attack on a flat road that you felt you could go a good 20 men down in the line? Really? I mean, I know it looked like Fabian wasn't as good as last week, but still; he's Fabian Cancellara!!!!! He's one of the best cyclist in the world and even on a "bad" day can beat most people. He has said his roll model is Jens Voight and we all know Jens will attack early, often, and to inflict as much pain on others as possible. You don't think Fabian is beginning to do the same? You don't think that after he attacked so far out last week he wouldn't do the same? (okay, so he admitted, he didn't even attack; he just road a little faster, and you couldn't keep up, so then he kicked it up again. I'd hate to see what would have happened if he had actually attacked - for those of you who don't know; Cancellara got about 20 seconds on Boonen in one, SHORT hill...about 1 min of climbing)
Oh, Tom...I know you didn't sleep well after this race...and I'm sure you had some drinks, but do me a favor; I'd love to see you in the Tour this year, so can you please not turn to "recreational" drugs to make you forget this ever happened? I know you tend to like the good stuff, so just stay off of it, okay?
I guess that's all my thoughts for now....I'll let you know after I get to finish this race, if I have more thoughts, but just in case I don't and assuming Fabian wins....GREAT race Fabian. You are a classy guy; I love watching you race and I love watching you win. I hope you continue to emulate Jens, because we are all going to miss him once he retires and I hope you are the guy to replace him.
Ciao
No comments:
Post a Comment