Saturday, January 16, 2010

Taylor and the ER

The last few days have been "exciting" around the DeLatte household....Wednesday night, Taylor felt a little warm; she'd been congested for days, but this was the first time she felt warm - she had a low fever (99.4), and I was glad I was spending the next two days at home. She was in a good mood Thursday - slept a lot but played too, and was pretty much her normal self. She had a 99.9 degree fever in the afternoon, and kept grabbing her nose, but other than that she was fine. That night things changed. She woke up about 2 in the morning and Brian got there before I did - she was really warm, and we discovered our baby girl had a 101.9 degree fever! She was miserable, so Tylenol was given immediately. She was able to go back to sleep after daddy rocked her a few minutes.

We decided with the weekend coming, we'd cut the 48-hour "fever" window short and get her into the doctor. She was diagnosed with a bi-lateral ear infection, and two hours later, the two of us were home - isn't it amazing how long it can take to get a prescription filled? She was sleepy, but a trooper. She took her meds and a nap, and I thought that was that. Okay, so this is where I became sloppy mommy...because she missed one of her naps while waiting for her drugs, when she spit some of the amoxicilian out onto her sleeper, I thought "I'll let her sleep and change her after she wakes up". When she woke up; I decided not to worry about it...it wasn't too bad and I could change it that night. She took anothe rnap after she ate at 4, but woke up about 5:15 unhappy. I rocked her and she fell asleep...then the phone rang and she woke up. About this time I noticed her breathing was REALLY fast - I did breathe counts and got to 60/min two minutes in a row. Brian was on his way home from work and the doctor said that if her breathing got over 60/min, then to go to the ER. I called my parent's because I was right on that threshold, and I knew my sister was over there...I figured I'd get 3 pretty good opinions done in one call. In talking to my dad (I think), we decided to go to the hospital; Brian came home and we turned around to go to the closest hospital - Lake Pointe.

We had to wait a couple of minutes as they helped someone else (but the nurse did come out to make sure Taylor was okay). While waiting to be seen, Taylor decided she needed to use her diaper - and then some, so at this point she had medicine on the front of her shirt and some glorious yellow on the back...and in my rush to get out of the house, I didn't get an extra outfit - man did I feel bad! 3 hours later (and after overhearing a VERY funny conversation between an "emergency" patient and a doctor - she wanted an x-ray to see if her foot had an infection) we had our diagnosis...in addition to the bi-lateral ear infection, she also had RSV and pneumonia created by the RSV. We get to do breathing treatments 4 times a day along with an additional antibiotic!

Her happy disposition has returned today and she played a lot and slept some - I think her albuterol gives her some extra enery (I know it does to me). Hopefully she'll continue to improve, and we won't have any more scares for a while. I know it was a few tense moments for all of us yesterday and I'm so happy to have such a loving and supportive husband and family (not just mine, but his too).

No comments:

Post a Comment